Tried this today.
3 to 3.5 cups grated bottle gourd or lauki
500 ml milk, which has been already boiled before
7-8 tbsp sugar
3-4 tbsp ghee
4-5 cardamom, powdered or crushed
1/2 cup chopped almonds/cashews
How to make:
1. In a kadai or deep pan combine milk and grated lauki or bottle gourd.
2. Bring the whole mixture to a boil and then lower the flame.
3. Simmer the mixture on a low flame and keep on stirring in between.
4. The bottle gourd will cook in the milk and the milk will start to reduce and evaporate.
5. When the milk has 75% reduced, add crushed cardamom, chopped almonds and cashew nuts to the mixture.
6. Add ghee when all the milk has evaporated.
7. Mix the ghee with the rest of the mixture and cook for a minute.
8. Lastly add sugar and mix it with the halwa.
9. Cook for a few minutes. Keep on stirring the halwa.
10. When the consistency is just right, switch off the burner.
11. Serve lauki halwa hot or cold.